Monday, May 11, 2009

Welcome!

Hi friends, family, and random stalkers!
As most of you know, I am spending May 14-June 29 in Florence, Italy! I'm taking classes through a UConn study abroad program provided by The Institute at Palazzo Rucellai. Of course, I am a bundle of nerves; this is the first thing I've done completely on my own. (It's about time!) Not only will it be scary to be living in another country, but it is super intimidating not knowing any of the students I'm traveling with. However, I'm beyond psyched! This is an absolutely incredible opportunity and I plan on exploring as much of Italy as (physically and financially) possible!


A Little Background:
Florence is located in the central region of Tuscany. The region is most famous for its beautiful countryside, its wine, and olive oil. Also, marble quarries in the northwest (used to form Michelangelo's sculptures) still produce pure Italian marble. Florence is divided by the Arno River, interestingly mentioned in one of the arias that I sing. The Institute at Palazzo Rucellai was constructed starting in 1455 by the architect Leon Battista Alberti. It is now one of the most famous and beautiful buildings in Renaissance Florence. Palazzo Rucellai, still property of the Rucellai family is not open to the public. However, the family allows the Institute to utilize two floors of the palace. How cool is that? I get to take class inside a PALACE? Talk about Disney Princess dreams!


If You'd Like to Send A Letter* (And Please Do!):

Amanda Mulé
c/o Institute at Palazzo Rucellai
Via della Vigna Nuova, 18
50123 Florence
Italy

*Letters only please! It can cost up to $650 for me to pick up a package from customs!

I am leaving this Thursday! (I am not even packed yet! Ah!) My parents will drive me up to JFK in New York and I'll board Lufthansa Air at 9:35pm. I should arrive in Frankfurt at 11:35am the next morning and then depart again an hour later and arrive in Florence at 2:10pm! Institute representatives are meeting all of the students and bringing us in taxis to our apartments!

I'll try to post on here as often as I can for the next 6+ weeks. I'm hoping to upload pictures as well, as long as my camera battery is not blown out by the very intense Italian electricity. I figured as long as I am having fun, I should let my friends and family in on it too!

Leave comments if you would like a postcard! Skype me!

Love, Mandy

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your having a great time their, i wish i was with you and i miss you so much.

    Love Chris

    ReplyDelete