Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Bump In The Road?

Ciao,

Interestingly enough, yesterday, I came down with a horrible sore throat, runny nose, very high fever, aches and pains and nausea. Needless to say, it was an extremely rough day, especially in the Italian heat. But, I ended up at the doctor and got antibiotics and am feeling a little better today. So, that is why you haven't seen any more posts or pictures from me... I don't have anything else to show yet! I guess this is some sort of higher power's way of telling me that I need to learn how to take care of myself, by myself. But, I did learn something new yesterday; prescriptions are already packaged in boxes, not counted out into bottles, so you don't have to wait. This was pretty awesome, as I was going to keel over and pass out.

Tonight, since I was feeling a bit better, I decided to go out for a "aperitivo" which is basically a before dinner drink and appetizers, and a movie. While we were at the aperitivo, there was a dinner outside with a local candidate speaking; I'll try to find out who he was and what he is running for in the elections here. We saw Angels and Demons which was action packed and really really worth it. It took place all over Rome-- and showed many of the churches/monuments that Dad and I saw when we went with my high school chorus. I highly reccomend the movie, by the way.

On the way back to our apartment, we saw a huge election ralley for il populo della liberta (the people of freedom) a center/right political party. The politicians here seem very passionate, partly because of the very rhythmic language, which was pretty interesting, although I could not understand what they were saying.

Suggestion: don't go down a street in Italy without street lights. I thought there would be residual lighting, but alas, I walked home in the pitch black darkness all the way down my very long street, stumbling on cobblestones as I went.

Tomorrow I'm waking up (in 6 hours) to go on a trip to Pisa and Lucca. I am sure to have pictures to post, and please wish me luck with this horrible cold... which I believe the doctor said is strep throat. AH. Anyways, maybe tomorrow evening I will have something POSITIVE to post! Pray for me; it is extremely difficult being this sick on my own and in a foriegn country.
With a leaky nose and a throbbing head, I bid you buona notte.

Love, Mandy

ps. Interesting fact: Italians have NO idea what oatmeal is. And they think it is really weird to eat sausage with breakfast. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment